Sunday, June 5, 2011

Songs Sung by the Nurses of the 16th General Tent Hospital During WWII in Honor of Their Air Corps Friends in the 48th


U.S. Army Nurse Muriel Phillips of the 16th General Tent Hospital during the Battle of the Bulge.

Songs Sung in "Honor" of their pilot friends in the 48th Fighter Group

You've got to be a fighter pilot to get along with an army nurse
You've got to be a Jerry getter, you bet.
If you want to get your nursie to pet
The fact that you are rich and handsome won't get you anywhere, my dear.
You've got to be a 48th pilot
To get along with a nursie this year.


(Sung to the Tune of the WWII hit, "I'll Walk Alone")
I'll walk alone because the Air Corps' afraid of the Buzz Bombs
I'm not afraid of the Buzz Bombs but I can't get away so here I stay.
I'll walk alone because the Air Corps' afraid of the ack, ack.
I don't mind being ack-acked --eek! Flak!

Thanks to Muriel Engelman, WWII Army Nurse with the 16th General Army Hospital and author of the memoir Mission Accomplished: Stop the Clock, for providing these lyrics. She explains the latter song in this way:

"We nurses dated some pilots who's air base was at St. Tronde, Belgium, I don't remember how far they were from Liege, somewhere like a 45-60 minute ride away but they weren't getting buzz bombed and when they came to see us they weren't comfortable with the bombs coming in every 12-15" and they would want to take us to their air base where it was peaceful, so we teased them about it with that song."

No comments:

Post a Comment